Douro Valley Historical Tour
Winery, River Cruise and Lunch (Optional)
This tour will show the historical importance of the Douro Region, not only for the wine-making process but also for the Portuguese identity!
The tour will start with a pick-up at your hotel (*optional. if you don’t choose this option, the guide will meet you at Living Tours office). Travel comfortably towards the Douro Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. An enchanted valley, where the green and the gold blend perfectly with the river course. Undoubtedly, it can be said that the Douro Valley is one of the most beautiful areas of the world – feel the Nature in its purest state!
As you will learn on this full-day guided tour, the Douro Region has enormous importance for the wine culture for its outstanding wines, including Port Wines. For more than 2.000 years, Port Wine has been produced in the Douro by traditional landholders.
Our first stop is in Amarante. This city became very important after Saint Gonçalo’s arrival (1187-1259) – one of the most renowned saints in Christian history. He settled himself here after his pilgrimage through Rome and Jerusalem, making this city an important religious stop in Portugal. You may visit the convent and church, but also observe its beautiful bridge over the Tamega river or explore its beautiful historic center.
Our day will continue to one of the most surprising spots of this tour: the Galafura viewpoint. Also known as São Leonardo da Galafura viewpoint, this place will take your breath away. From the top of its 640 meters, you will have a privileged view over the Douro river and the surrounding landscape. We promise you that this is one of the greatest highlights of this tour.
After all the contemplation, it’s time for a traditional lunch (optional). Have the opportunity to taste the best of the Douro’s gastronomy in a family owned restaurant, where the food follows homemade and familiar recipes.
The tour continues to Pinhão, one of the most beautiful and charming villages of this region. Stop for a 1-hour panoramic relaxing cruise over the Douro river waters. Observe the imposing natural views and the gorgeous vineyards. Enjoy!
End your day with a fantastic visit to a renowned Wine Estate, where you will not miss the chance to taste 3 excellent regional wines and learn all about the Port Wine culture and making process.
Return comfortably to Porto, observing the beautiful landscapes between the Douro and the city of Porto. Afterward, your guide will drop you off at the door of the hotel.
* There are two options: with or without the hotel pick-up/drop-off service. Choose the option that suits you the best!
- Discover the town of Amarante: it has a huge cultural, historical and religious legacy.
- Have one of the best experiences of your life when you are at the Galafura viewpoint!
- Discover the national road N222: already considered the most beautiful road in the world!
- Relax with a panoramic 1-hour cruise on the Douro River in Pinhão.
- Enjoy a homemade lunch (optional) in a panoramic restaurant with a vegetarian option (indicate on reservation).
- Visit one of the main Douro Wineries with commented tastings of excellent wines.
- Child seats are available for your children under 12 years or less than 135 cm in height.
Wear comfortable clothes and comfortable shoes.
The order of the itinerary may change due to traffic restrictions or any other operational reason.
- Professional Guide
- Transport in comfortable minibus
- Visit to Amarante.
- Visit to the viewpoint of Sao Leonardo da Galafura.
- Traditional lunch with drinks included
- Panoramic 50-minute boat ride to Pinhão
- Visit to the Port wine farm with tasting of some wines.
Does not include:
- Tips (optional).
- Food and drink
- Pick-up and Drop-off at the hotel (only when the option is selected)
- Be at the departure location 15 minutes before the departure time.
- At least 2 people are required for this activity to occur.
- If the minimum number of participants is not reached, the tour will be rescheduled.
This product is subject to cancellation or reprogramming based on inclement weather or unexpected urban events.